Report of Sale:

Protect yourself by filing a report of sale within 5 business days of selling, giving away, trading, donating, or disposing of a vehicle. Why you should file: As the seller, you are responsible for filing the report of sale. If you don’t file, you may be held liable for tolling bills, towing charges, and other civil or criminal liabilities incurred by the new owner. The new owner is responsible for transferring the title. Go to  for additional information.

To report the sale of a vehicle, you have 3 options:

  • Join or login to License eXpress.
  • File online without using your License eXpress account.
  • File at Eastside Auto Licensing, or another WA State DOL certified licensing office.

If you’ve sold a vehicle or boat: Make sure you have…

  • The date of the sale or transfer
  • The name and address of the person the vehicle/vessel was sold or transferred to
  • The vehicle ID number (VIN)
  • The vehicle license plate number
  • The vessel WIN

When to file a report of sale.

  • Sold:
    • Privately
    • On consignment
    • Out of state (Must have a WA state license plate)
  • Given away (Gifted)
  • Traded to a private party or dealer
  • Donated
  • Given to a wrecking yard
  • Turned over to an insurance company
  • Disposed

Update your Good To Go! Account

If you have a Good To Go! electronic tolling pass, update your account to show you don't own the vehicle anymore. Go through the Department of Transportation: Online:, or Call: 866.936.8246